This week we're honored to have a conversation with Dr. Carolyn Dean to complete our series about the benefits of magnesium for anxiety relief and so much more.
Carolyn Dean, MD, ND is a health pioneer with over 35 years of experience with stress management, sleep, aging, diet and nutrition issues. She’s authored 30 books including “The Magnesium Miracle".
Radio and TV hosts interview her regularly including ABC's The View, NBC and CBS. Some of the shows include Know the Cause with host Doug Kaufman, Your Health with Dr. Becker, and Health Matters with Christine Crosbie, to name a few. She serves on the Medical Advisory Board of the Nutritional Magnesium Association at www.nutritionalmagnesium.org
Dr. Dean lives in Maui where she is far from retired but still visits the beach most days, swims, snorkels and thoroughly enjoys her work and play – most days not knowing which is work and which is play!
Over that last couple of months, Anxiety Slayer has been teaching our listeners about the benefits of Magnesium as an essential nutrient to stave off heart disease, diabetes, asthma and of course, stress and anxiety.
QUESTIONS FOR DR. DEAN
- Can you please tell us about the role of magnesium in our bodies
- How to tell if your body needs more magnesium
- How magnesium can help calm anxiety
- What is at the root of magnesium depletion in our bodies
- Please touch on the benefits of drinking a magnesium drink like Natural Calm
Magnesium Deficiency Triggers or Causes
The Following Conditions:
- Anxiety and Panic attacks- Magnesium (Mg) normally keeps adrenal stress hormones under control.
- Asthma- Both histamine production and bronchial spasms increase with Mg deficiency.
- Blood clots- Mg has an important role to play in preventing blood clots and keeping the blood thin-much like aspirin but without the side effects.
- Bowel disease- Mg deficiency slows down the bowel causing constipation, which could lead to toxicity and malabsorption of nutrients, as well as colitis.
- Cystitis- Bladder spasms are worsened by Mg deficiency.
- Depression-Serotonin, which elevates moods, is dependent on Mg. A Mg-deficient brain is also more susceptible to allergens, foreign substances that can cause symptoms similar to mental illness.
- Detoxification- Mg is crucial for the removal of toxic substances and heavy metals such as aluminum and lead.
- Diabetes- Mg enhances insulin secretion, facilitating sugar metabolism. Without Mg insulin is not able to transfer glucose into cells. Glucose and insulin build up in the blood causing various types of tissue damage.
- Fatigue- Mg-deficient patients commonly experience fatigue because dozens of enzyme systems are under-functioning. An early symptom of Mg deficiency is frequently fatigue.
- Heart disease- Mg deficiency is common in people with heart disease. Mg is administered in hospitals for acute myocardial infarction and cardiac arrhythmia. Like any other muscle, the heart muscle requires Mg. Mg is also used to treat angina, or chest pain.
- Hypertension- With insufficient Mg, spasm of blood vessels and high cholesterol occur, both of which lead to blood pressure problems.
Want valuable information regarding the health benefits of magnesium, latest studies, expert interviews,videos and health tips? Visit >> www.nutritionalmagnesium.org.
Learn more about Dr. Dean's body of work and get the first 4 weeks of her wellness program at www.drcarolyndean.com.